Opinions on corporate and brand identity work.

A division of UnderConsideration.








Share ›

New Name, Logo, and Identity for Engie by Carré Noir
 

before

after

Noted Apr. 30, 2015 by Armin

Industry / Corporate Tags /

About

(Est. 2008) “Engie, previously GDF Suez, is a French multinational electric utility company, headquartered in La Défense, Courbevoie; which operates in the fields of electricity generation and distribution, natural gas and renewable energy. The company, formed on 22 July 2008 by the merger of Gaz de France and Suez, traces its origins to the Universal Suez Canal Company founded in 1858 to construct the Suez Canal. […] The company holds a 35% stake in Suez Environnement, the water treatment and waste management company spun off from Suez at the time of the merger. GDF SUEZ bought 70% of Britain’s International Power in August 2010, creating the world’s largest independent utility company. The purchase of the remaining 30% was announced by GDF SUEZ in April 2012, and the transaction completed in July 2012. As of 2010 GDF SUEZ employs 236,000 people worldwide, including 1,200 researchers and experts at 9 R&D centers, with revenues of €84.5 billion.” (Wikipedia)

Design by

Carré Noir (Multiple locations, France)

Related links

Carré Noir project page
Engie press release (PDF)

Relevant quote
The energy transition is more than ever a reality for which we have both great ambitions and a great responsibility. To meet the new challenges of this reality and to accelerate our development, we have decided to give the Group a new name: ENGIE. It is an easy name and one that is powerful, a name that evokes energy for everyone and in all cultures, a name embodying our values and activities. […] The new brand name adopts the rising sun as its logo, symbolizing a new day in the world of energy. To establish its international dimension, ENGIE has chosen to take its inspiration from its baseline signature, "By People for People."

Engie press release (PDF)

Images (opinion after)
New Name, Logo, and Identity for Engie by Carré Noir
Logo detail, with tagline.
Spot announcing name and logo change.
Yet another video on the logo evolution, in case you weren’t convinced by the first one.
New Name, Logo, and Identity for Engie by Carré Noir
Pattern.
New Name, Logo, and Identity for Engie by Carré Noir
Numbers.
New Name, Logo, and Identity for Engie by Carré Noir
Stationery.
New Name, Logo, and Identity for Engie by Carré Noir
Other materials.
New Name, Logo, and Identity for Engie by Carré Noir
Brochure.(Clearly the most comp-looking of all these comps).
New Name, Logo, and Identity for Engie by Carré Noir
New Name, Logo, and Identity for Engie by Carré Noir
Some kind of ad/banner things.
Opinion

The old logo was pretty weird to start with and by weird I mean it's bananas. I really don't know who designs that and says "Yes, this is cool!" or which client looks at that and says "Yes, that's the logo I want!". But we will have to assume that French electric companies play by their own rules because they've done it again with the new logo that takes the same visual approach of the old logo but "improves" it with cleaner curves and slightly more consistency. Nonetheless the result is still bananas. The letterforms are really awkward and unpleasant, the "i" looks like a microphone, and the gradient looks like the dome from Under the Dome. (Sorry to burst your bubble, press release, but that is no rising sun). After the logo, the application goes into what seems like a dozen different, unrelated visual directions and identity elements that never blend in a cohesive way. Clearly a lot of energy was spent on this, but it fails to provide any real power.

Thanks to Paul Vickers for the tip.

Your opinion…

On Name


Total

On Logo


Total

On Application


Total

Comments


Share ›

Spotted Around the web

New Logo for Conmebol

New Logo for Conmebol
 
Spotted May. 25, 2017

Pinned Recent, Big Stories

New Logo for NASCAR

New Logo for NASCAR
 
Posted Jan. 4, 2017

Curated Best Posts with Script Logos

Brandiose is Grandiose

Brandiose is Grandiose
 
Posted Feb. 9, 2012

Little Chef, Big Dreams

Little Chef, Big Dreams
 
Posted May. 19, 2011
 
 

About

Brand New, is a division of UnderConsideration, displaying opinions, and focusing solely, on corporate and brand identity work. More…

UnderConsideration is a graphic design firm generating its own projects, initiatives, and content while taking on limited client work. Run by Bryony Gomez-Palacio and Armin Vit in Austin, TX.

Many Thanks to our Advertisers

When choosing between competing products and services, please consider our advertisers, who help support Brand New.

Typography

Brand New uses Mercury Text ScreenSmart and Operator ScreenSmart from Hoefler & Co.

Webfonts by Hoefler & Co.

Join our Mailing List